On a daily basis, millions of people walk in and around various shops, businesses, and public spaces while completing errands and other tasks. Most individuals expect that they will be able to finish their errands and head back home without any issues. Unfortunately, some people sustain a serious injury due to an unexpected slip and fall accident.
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, at any time, and to anyone. In some cases, the slip and fall injuries are minor and only require superficial treatment. However, some people sustain more serious injuries that result in a great deal of medical care and related medical bills.
Whether it is broken bones, an ankle or wrist injury, spinal cord injuries, soft tissue injuries, or any other of a number of different issues, those individuals who sustain these injuries on someone else’s property as a result of another person’s negligence or carelessness deserve to fight for compensation for their losses and damages.
At the Law Offices of Michael Alan Siddons, our personal injury law firm provides you the care and respect you are due as an accident victim. The legal professional handling your case will be sure to evaluate all aspects of the case, investigate the circumstances of your slip and fall accident, and make sure that the right evidence is gathered to hold the property owner legally responsible for your injuries.
If you or a loved one has sustained a soft tissue injury or another kind of injury because of a slip and fall, contact our experienced personal injury firm. Our team is here to represent your best interests and make sure that you get the best possible outcome for your slip and fall injury case.
What Is a Slip and Fall Accident?
Slip and fall accidents are categorized as premises liability claims because the results of the accident, usually some type of injury, fall on the shoulders of the property owner, residential or commercial. When slip and fall accidents (or slip and trip accidents) occur, an individual sustains an injury due to a hazard or other type of dangerous condition on someone else’s property. The property owner must have been aware of the hazard and failed to warn others about it or work to remedy the situation in any way.
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
The types of injuries which occur during a slipping and falling accident are based on the circumstances of the situation itself as well as the actions of those involved. Some of the most common slip and fall injuries that have been sustained include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Knee injuries
- Hip fractures
- Shoulder dislocation
- Ligament tears
- Soft tissue injuries
- Leg and arm abrasions
This is not an exhaustive list of the types of injuries that may affect an individual involved in the slip and fall incident, but they are some of the most common. An injured person needs to contact an experienced slip and fall accident attorney in order to hold the responsible party accountable for their losses and help the injured person recover financially.
Most Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
The ways in which slip and fall accidents occur can vary depending on the situation, but there are several common causes that our attorneys at the Law Offices of Michael Alan Siddons in Media, PA, have handled. These circumstances which may result in a slip and fall case include:
- Unusual or uneven step or surface: This could account for a number of issues. Things like torn or frayed carpeting, loose floorboards, potholes in the parking lot, poorly constructed stairs, and many other hazards could cause a fall.
- Debris and cluttered flooring: From offices to large retail outlets, debris and clutter on the floor is a clear tripping hazard. Anytime there is a great deal amount of clutter on the floor, that is putting customers and others at risk of falling and ending up in significant pain.
- Wet floor: Sometimes, this is due to inclement weather (rain, snow, ice) that is tracked in when people walk through the door. Other times it is due to waxing the floors while people are still in the store. Still, other situations relate to spills or leaks within the building. Whatever the case, it is essential that a wet floor is dried as soon as possible to avoid an insurance claim.
- Bad lighting: If people cannot see where they are going, they will likely fall. It can be due to a lack of light or too much light, but either way, poor lighting can definitely result in a trip and fall accident and subsequent injuries with chronic pain.
- Ice: Although we mentioned ice earlier, it is worth mentioning again. When snow and ice have accumulated outside, it is essential that the walkways and parking lots are cleared and salted. If left untreated, people are likely going to fall on their way into the store and have to make emergency room visits for ankle fractures or other injuries that property owners will be responsible for.
Again, this is not an exhaustive list, and those who have been injured should first seek medical care for their immediate symptoms. Then, they should contact an experienced law firm such as ours at the Law Offices of Michael Alan Siddons in Media, PA, to discuss financial compensation for your losses.
Contact a Media, PA, Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Slip and Fall Accident
If you or a loved one has been involved in a slipping and falling accident and sustained serious injuries as a result of someone else’s negligence, you may be eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit and fight for compensation for your losses. At the Law Offices of Michael Alan Siddons, our team will work to get you compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering, and more.
Our personal injury team has the experience, knowledge, and skills to investigate your situation, gather evidence for your claim, and work for the best possible outcome for your case. Contact us today for a free case review and get started with our legal team.